- 8 cups spring water
- 2″ pieces of kombu sea vegetable
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 2 dry shitake mushrooms
(soaked and cut in strips)
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, cubed
- 1 small onion, cubed
- ¼ cup red lentils, washed
- 1 cup cauliflower, small pieces
- Soy sauce or a pinch of sea salt
- Hot pepper (optional)
Put water, pearl barley, and all other ingredients in soup pot except soy sauce and hot pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for one hour. For a thicker soup, cook 1-1 ½ hours.
During the last 10 min of cooking, add soy sauce to taste and hot pepper powder(optional).
Garnish with blanched watercress.