- 1 leek chopped (only the white part)
- 8 cups spring water
- 2 dried Shitake mushrooms, soaked for ½ hour and cut into small pieces
- 3” piece of Kombu seaweed, soaked 10 minutes and cut into small sticks.
- 1 cup Hato Mugi (also known as pearl barley or job’s tears) grain
- 1 small carrot julienne style cut
- 1 cup Mung bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
Clean and wash the Hato Mugi well, being careful because this grain often has stones and dirt in it). Put it in a soup pot with the water, Kombu, Shitake mushrooms and bring to a boil. Cook with medium high flame f20 minutes (note this grain will not get soft on a low temperature). Add carrots, sprouts and return to a boil. Continue to cook until the grain is soft. Add soy sauce to taste and serve.